Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wisdom teeth are cool

I just looked at this music blog that I haven't checked in a while, and I noticed that the dude posted his obligatory "Best of 2008" list. This is not surprising. I think everyone that has a blog is totally down with music and typically makes one of these toward the end of the year. So, to keep with blog tradition, here is mine, two weeks late:

1. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III

Shiiit, son. What's do be said that hasn't already been said about Weezy? He's one bad dude. He's got a lot of money. You know, a-milli? He's got a tattoo that signifies he killed someone. Wikipedia just told me that he played the Tin Man in his school's production of the Wiz. Also, vocoders are cool and I hope they stick around in the hip hop industry for the next decade.

2. Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak

This is making me seem like I really love hip hop. Pff, shit. I do. Again, vocoder, man. T-Pain brought that shit to the forefront and everyone was like, "damn, that sounds good. And obviously that's what everyone is digging on right now. I ought to take everything that previously made me interesting and toss dat shit down the toilet." But shit, what can I say? Ol' Kanye lost his mom to plastic surgery complications in 2007. He had to express his pain. His T-Pain.

3. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals

Yoooooo, ever heard this dude? He takes, like, mad samples. Like, top 40 hip hop shit, and he mixes it with like some alternative music or something. I wikipedia'd it and there was some shit called the Butthole Surfers. I never heard of that, but you know the dude is eclectic.

4. Vampire Weekend - S/T

So, total hype band, right? Well, they back it up. Seriously, every blog across the interweb was creaming their pants over this. Well, I heard them first. Like, literally first. So, when they started blowing up, I was all, "whatevs". But man, then they were on MTV with "Oxford Comma" and I said to myself, "They've made it." Then I gave them a call, or attempted to, to tell them they owe me some money because if it weren't for me, they would have never made it so big. I got as far as their record label and the lady told me that I couldn't talk to them. I said, "eff it" and smoked a huge bowl. Listening to "A-Punk".

5. Fleet Foxes - S/T

I don't think I've ever actually listened to this band, but everyone else is flipping their shit about the album, so I had better make this list seem legit. I mean, what a gorgeous album. Definitely the most original and creative thing to come out in the last 25 years.

6. Beach House - Devotion

I like to think of Devotion as the soundtrack to the most beautiful film never made. Like, American Beauty or some shit. When the bag is floating and around and around and shit.

7. Crystal Castles - S/T

Out of all the really great bands that have been around for more than a year, it seems that debut albums top my list this year. That just goes to show that music is just getting so stagnant, y'know? Every band that came out with an album prior to 2008 should probably just quit.

8. Gaslight Anthem - '59

Yeah! Everyone is all over this band. And it's justified, you know? They sound like no other band I've ever heard. Ever. Keep an eye out for these scruffy young men. Mothers, lock up your daughters and fathers, watch yr ass.

9. Britney Spears - Circus

COMEBACK ALERT!

10. Sigur Ros - Kfjra Iirkrslllr Edk Irrssffc

I don't really understand this band. Neither what they're saying nor what they're trying to sound like or all about. But I don't really care. I heard they are classified as "post-rock", which doesn't make any sense because isn't rock still alive and well. I mean, AC/DC just came out with a new album. Not to mention Buckcherry.


Okay, now for real, I'll do like a top 5 or something. I won't say whether this is in order or anything, but these albums killed this year.

1. Polar Bear Club - Sometime Things Just Disappear
2. LaGrecia - On Parallels
3. Algernon Cadwallader - Some Kind of Cadwallader
4. Banner Pilot - Resignation Day
5. Torche - Meanderthal

Did that Hot Water b-sides collection come out this year? If so, that's on here. Ummm, I've been digging this Bridge and Tunnel album. Ummm, god. Music sucks. The WHY? album was pretty good. I liked the new Fucked Up. The Nick Cave was pretty good. Oh SHIT! MARGOT! THAT'S NUMBER ONE FOR SURE! THE NEW MARGOT!

I'm done. 2009 predictions:

BOOZE.

3 comments:

DB said...

why? is number 1 for me, followed by frightened rabbit. and then some other shit. i do like gaslight anthem. new herman dune, yes. that david byrne/brian eno album was pretty cool. i forget what else came out last year.

i am going to go lick some assholes now.

king cobra said...

You left off Prince's Purple Rain and Smashing Pumpkins' Gish. Geeze dude.

Anonymous said...

Dude, why the fuck isn't "Black Ice" in your top 10?! That album kicks cookie! The vocals are like, better than Jet's, dude... if you can imagine that shit!